Steps for Certification
Superintendent Program Overview
ESC 18 Superintendent Certification program prepares you to lead a Texas school district. Through internship assignments, research, required reading, and leadership sessions, you’ll be prepared to make an impact on children in school districts across Texas.
To begin the Superintendent Certification program, you will need:
- a valid Standard Principal or Mid-Management Certificate; OR TEA approval to substitute managerial experience in lieu of principal certification. Click here to access the application for TEA approval.
- a master’s or another advanced degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- verification of current employment in an administrative job role above the classroom teacher level
- demonstrated leadership skills in professional and community activities
Prior coursework and training for military and non-military candidates will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please contact us for further information.
How to Apply
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION. THE APPLICATION FEE IS $100 AND IS NON-REFUNDABLE. ASSEMBLE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS, TO BE MAILED TO US AT LEAST 15 DAYS PRIOR TO THE APPLICATION DEADLINE.
- Official transcript(s), in sealed envelopes, from the college/university conferring a master's degree
- Service record, if applicable
- (3) Letters of reference from current or former direct supervisors from the teaching field
- PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:
ESC 18 ECP | P O Box 60580, Midland, TX 79707
NOTE: You have up to 60 days to complete the online application once it is started.
To apply click here
*You will have to create a TEEMS account to apply unless you already have one
After your application is submitted and documents received, you will be notified via email of your acceptance into the program.
THE SUPERINTENDENT CERTIFICATION PROGRAM, WHICH LASTS ONE YEAR, IS A COMBINATION OF ONLINE COURSEWORK AND IN-PERSON FULL-DAY SESSIONS AT THE SERVICE CENTER. THESE SESSIONS ARE CONDUCTED BY PROMINENT, PRACTICING TEXAS SUPERINTENDENTS AND EXPERTS WHO DISCUSS COURSE TOPICS AND CURRENT ISSUES FACING TODAY’S SUPERINTENDENTS, SUCH AS INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP, SCHOOL LAW, SUPERINTENDENT-BOARD RELATIONS, FINANCE, AND ADVOCACY.
As a Region 18 candidate, you will learn invaluable skills to lead a district while creating your own professional learning community. Your training includes 200 hours of course work and e-learning and action research that will include content and topics such as district planning and decision-making, community and board relations, legal issues, school finance, and specific preparation for the Superintendent TExES exam.
Under the guidance of a mentor and your assigned field supervisor, you will also complete a minimum of 160 hours of field experience through the practicum process at an accredited school district, charter, or private school.
During your training, you will prepare for the TExES examination to obtain your Standard Superintendent Certificate.
The Certification Process
PREPARATION SESSIONS FOR THE TEXES SUPERINTENDENT EXAM ARE SCHEDULED THROUGHOUT THE PROGRAM. AFTER SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING YOUR TRAINING, INTERNSHIP, AND PAYMENT OF ALL PROGRAM FEES – YOU WILL BE RECOMMENDED FOR THE STANDARD SUPERINTENDENT CERTIFICATION.
More information is available online for TExES exam registration, preparation, and test dates.